Your favourite cookie dough recipe (I used this one!)
Your favourite baked donut recipe (I used this one!)
Outline-consistency royal icing
Flood-consistency royal icing
Sprinkles, edible glitters, etc!
Small paring knife, piping bags.
1. Roll your cookie dough!
2. Cut the float heads!
3. Bake the float heads!
4. Prepare your outline & flood icing. The food icing will be used to flood the cookie, AND to coat the baked donut - so make sure to prepare enough!
5. Once you've decorated the float heads, put them aside so the icing can dry. Now prepare your donut batter!
6. I made a vanilla baked donut, and divided my batter into 4. Then, I flavoured each of them with a different LorAnn Candy flavouring!
7. Add colouring to your batter if you'd like!
8. I added colour mostly so I would know which donut was which flavour post-baking.
9. Line a drinking glass with a piping bag, and add your donut batter to the bag.
10. Now, pipe the batter into the donut molds!
11. Cut a large hole in the tip of the piping bag, and fill your donut molds about 3/4 full.
12. and bake!
13. Your floatie heads should be fully decorated and dry prior to adding them to the donut. If you want to go all out - decorate BOTH sides of the floatie head cookie! PS. The floatie heads can be prepared in advance and frozen in a sealed Tupperware.
14. Now that your donuts and baked and cooled, use a small paring knife to cut two straight lines into the donut (about 1/4 inch between the lines, and don't go all the way though the donut! Stop about half way).
15. Use your paring knife to cut trough the middle of the donut, to remove the 1/4 inch thick piece.
16. That slit will be used to hold up the cookie head, now pipe some icing into the slit!
17. And insert the cookie fully!
18. Now you're ready to flood the donut body!
19. Use the same flood icing that you used for the cookie head to coat the donut. Make sure you do this on a cooling rack to excess icing can drop off! - And don't be shy! COVER that donut :)
20. Congrats on your Pool Floatie Donut! Now you can add sprinkles or other decorations!
21. I used Wilton Clear Sanding Sugar for the Swan